Design, Project Management, Manufacturing, Installation
Nike, the international leader in athletic apparel, looked to Ruggles Sign to design, develop and build the globe's most icon logo - the Nike Swoosh - on the most expensive street in the world, 5th Avenue in Manhattan, NY.
"Make the sign move as you walk past it," they said. Nike wanted the swoosh to have a glass face that appeared as if it were moving as pedestrians walked the sidewalks of 5th Avenue.
- Ruggles Sign created several design prototypes per Nike's wants/needs. After several prototype reviews, many emails and many phone calls, the Nike Construction & Design Teams flew to Ruggles Sign Headquarters in Versailles, KY. The Nike Team spent an entire day working hand-in-hand with our designers and manufacturing team to develop a vertically fluted acrylic, with the most detailed cut lines, to be used as the face.
- But there's more! We tried diffuser film on the back of the fluted acrylic, it the killed movement illusion made by the fluted acrylic. Next, we tested a piece of diffuser acrylic installed with a small air-gap behind the fluted acrylic - eureka! It was perfect.
- Add to that, programmable RGB LEDs, polished stainless steel structure and installing on a fluted glass storefront just made this project even more satisfying to work on with team Nike!
- It was the visit to Ruggles Sign that did the trick; such a visit allows for hands on teamwork and saved hundreds of emails & phone calls!
The most recognizable logo in the world, operating on the most expensive and elegant street in the world, makes a statement that no other can. Nike was more than pleased with the final product.
Play by the rules, but be ferocious.
- Phil Knight
All looks great. You guys have been great partners through this project and I really appreciate it!
- Billy AndersonDirector of Nike Real Estate and Store Construction